Saturday, November 25, 2006

Film making in India

Hi there,

I had a friend-cum-cousin coming home this week. I used his arrival to sneak a movie. We chose a very popular one; the one running with packed houses.

After being seated and having watched it for the first 30 minutes, I could not control the urge to go home. I could not believe the levels to which film makers need to stoop to play to the galleries. As the ubiquitous "Love" needs to duly attended, close to 60% of the film's duration had been spent on "paving the road" for the protagonists to fall in love with each other.

Can't two characters of the opposite gender stay as normal individuals? Why should "Love" be hammered into their heads (and into those of viewers' as well)? Aren't there other things to focus, save a forced episode of "Love"?

The film maker had, of course, attempted to do something different, but in the mission to "playing-to-the-galleries", the unique attempt had become stale and insipid.

But, initatives such as this were completely absent until now. Though I get bored to watch the over-dominance of "Love", I am fairly confident that the days of "Love" being the sole theme of Indian movies are numbered.

I am eagerly awaiting the birth of the new era where our protagonists have better things to do than merely sing songs in exotic locales.

Thanks

Vijay

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home