Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Death of a language's finesse

Hi,

I bought some Tamil literature works last week. These works were written 60 years ago.

As I began reading them, I found that the language had been richer, even 60 years ago. There were many words I ran into for the first time in my life. There were also some letters that had been in vogue then, now extinct.

It dawned on me that languages, if not properly patronized, can lose their elegance. I was also held in shock that how rich languages would have been several centuries ago. The resultant feeling was that of shock and despair, as we all work day-in and day-out to make our languages lose their elegance.

It is time to realize our heritage and stop further erosion of our rich past.

Vijay

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home